Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Box and A Broom

[This post is part of the January Cure project. Read more here: Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6 | Day 7 | Day 8 | Day 9 | Day 10 | Day 11 | Day 12 | Day 13 | Day 14]

And...some other stuff.

Busy weekend/Monday = posting three days of "The Cure" at once. Lucky duck.

DAY 2 : Set Up Your Outbox

Saturday, February 2nd


"Choose a space that is clearly defined... any small area or corner near your front door will do. Designate this your Outbox. The Outbox is not garbage, nor does it need to be an actual box; it is a halfway house where things sit while their fate is being decided."

No this was not originally a case of vodka. Except maybe.

Apparently, "Once an item has sat in the Outbox for some time, it releases its hold over the owner and becomes just and ordinary object that one can easily decide what to do with." My Outbox is an actual box, because I didn't feel like designating another area of my very small apartment to purposefully collect clutter. This way I can at least kick it into a corner and forget about it and even close it up if guests are coming over. Or maybe instead I should put it by the door and tell guests they can pick a prize from the box when they leave. It would save me a trip to Goodwill.

There is only one thing in the box so far (it's not Harrison, despite what the picture suggests; he seemed to think the remote needed its fate decided and threw it in the box) but I plan on grabbing things when they catch my eye as I walk around the apartment day to day and throwing them in.

 

 

DAY 3:  Weekend Chores: Flowers, Floors, Green Cleaners, and Outbox

Sunday, February 3rd


"Buy flowers...vacuum the rugs and mop/dry mop the floors...stock up on good green cleaners...use your outbox as you go."

I took the assignment for today as a chance to knock something off of my list: deep cleaning the two bathrooms. It feels AMAZING. Seriously guys, go clean your bathroom (like really clean it, not how you fake clean it 5 minutes before people come over or how you kind of clean it when you have half an hour to surface clean your house before you have to go change your baby's diaper and go to the grocery store and buy milk so you can eat breakfast in the morning. for example.) and then tell me how you feel.

We already own Mrs. Meyer's countertop cleaner, which is earth friendly. They come in scents like Basil and Lemon Verbena and Honeysuckle, which sound like a group of pretentious prep school girls, but actually smell quite lovely. I have to admit...Charles did run out later and buy some toilet and tub cleaner today for the bathroom and they definitely weren't "green" (aka eco friendly) in any way, shape or form (though one is green in color....consolation prize?). I would eventually like to make my own cleaners, like those detailed in this article by Daniel from Manhattan Nest. Side note: he's kind of hilarious.

I added another item to my outbox, woooooo. I'd show you, but it might be something you gave me once upon a time and that would be a little awkward.

I'm adding flowers to tomorrow's task since that's when we're going to the grocery store. Saving gas: how's THAT for earth friendly?

DAY 4: Get a Fresh Perspective in Just 10 Minutes

Monday, February 4th


"Find a spot in your home that you rarely sit in that gives you a view on a room or area that you feel is especially problematic and spend 10 quiet minutes there."

I didn't get around to this until 9:30 p.m. and then I had to tell my husband, "If you see me sitting somewhere in the apartment not doing anything for 10 minutes, don't freak out." Because without the disclaimer he probably would have thought I was finally spiraling downward overwhelmed by all the amazing housewifery that goes on around here.

Clearly:


I chose to sit in our dining room. "But I thought it said to find a spot you rarely sit in," you're probably thinking. Yes well, you try finding a spot in a tiny apartment that you haven't ever sat in before. I did, however, sit on the other side of the table than where we normally sit, so technically it was a new perspective. SO THERE. My back was to our dining room window, the kitchen in front of me, the laundry & bedroom to my left, the living room and the rest of the apartment to my right (note to self: make a floor plan some time).

I didn't have any major epiphanies while sitting there, though I did find new things I want to add to my list. Is that cheating? Ah, well. Add them I shall.

First I munched on some chocolate chips (healthier than cookies and I don't even have to bake). I gave the evil eye to the "printer-storage-drawers-shopping-bags-shredder-paper-recycle-basket area of terror" to my immediate right (top right in the photo). I don't even know what to do with that. For the most part I just pretend it doesn't exist. Works some of the time. Things like I wish I could paint these doors and We need more artwork and Okay now I'm thirsty popped in my head.

I forgot how atrocious the refrigerator looks, particularly on top. Thanks apartment, for your complete lack of storage. I didn't have any new thoughts looking toward the living room, just confirmation that I really want to do stuff in there.

I used to really like those paintings. And I still like them in theory. But I'm reallyreallyreally over the dark red and black color scheme. I want light and bright and airy. I basically want it to look like the Crate & Barrel and IKEA catalogs had a party in my living room. Oh and shall we take a look at the shoes that are invading the floor and the "bag and sweater storage" that is the arm of the couch? The good news is I already have a plan for these things; the bad news consists of two parts: 1. I already have a few projects that I need to finish (start?) before I even beginning to think of tackling anything else and 2. Cash money. I needs it. Basically.

(Oh and let's ignore the really awkward looking yellow/stained area there at the bottom of the shoe picture. I swear that doesn't actually exist in real life. Thanks Instagram filters.)

And now, since I subjected you to the clutter of my apartment, here are some pictures of happy flowers to cleanse your palate.

These were only $4 and they made me smile. I tried to get Harrison to smell them and he reacted like they were going to eat his face.

0 comments:

Post a Comment